Wednesday 10 April 2013

Market research

I have spent several hours researching into the portrait photography market, to see how many photographers and studios there are in Suffolk and beyond. The main thing I used for this research was Google and Google maps, which were more helpful than I thought they would be. The downfall of this method is that if a photographer/studio don't have a website then they won't necessarily be included. Another downfall is that the photography may not be working anymore, which I can overcome by checking the copyright date at the bottom of the page.
This search has told me that there are roughly 25-30 portrait photographers in Suffolk, and a good 75% of these also do weddings. Below I'm going to make a list of prices they charge for weddings, on order to find an estimated average.
Sara Thomas Photography - £1200
Paul Jenkins Photography - £1055
Julian Mitchell Photography - £1200
Pja Photography - £1395
James Davidson Photography - £1750
Phillip Montgomery Photography - £1295
Thomas Ames Photography - £1050
F.E.A.D Photography - £325
Martin Beard Photography - £1050 (estimate)
A&G Wedding Photography - £795
I've calculated the average of just these ten photographers to be £1111. This tells me roughly how much wedding photographers make in the ares I live, and shows me the competition if I decide to go into the market myself. I have also just emailed almost every single person on the list, asking about work experience etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment